Art in many of its forms will descend upon the Rosewood neighborhood on Saturday, Sept. 30.
The seventh annual Rosewood Art & Music Festival celebrates Southern arts and culture with music, poetry, visual arts – and food and craft beer.
The festival was founded in 2010 with the idea of celebrating visual and performing artists in and around the Rosewood community. Since then, it has evolved into an art and music festival that includes artists from all over the Southeastern United States.
“A lot of festivals in Columbia feature food or culture or fun, but the art and music are only one element of the festival, and not the feature,” said Dave Britt, executive director of the Rosewood Merchants Association. “As a musician myself that works in the Rosewood community and whose wife is also an artist, it is exciting to be a part of this festival where art and music are the main event.”
Never miss a local story.
The festival will run from 11 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Here are five things to know about the Rosewood Art & Music Festival:
1. It’s a one-day, free outdoor festival that fills all three parking lots on the grounds of Rockaway Athletic Club off Howard Street. That street will be closed between the parking lots.
2. Thirteen bands will perform on two different stages, from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m.
3. Food will be sold by Rockaway’s in the restaurant. Craft beer will be sold in the parking lots.
4. There will be 50 exhibiting painters, sculptors, potters, upcycled artists, silversmiths and more. The core of the day is the exhibition and sale of original works by artists and authors. The public is also able to view specially selected works of art in the juried show, which awards prizes up to $2,000.
5. You can see performances by dancers and poets, as well as a performance by Town Theatre at 2:35 p.m.
If you go
Rosewood Art & Music Festival
WHEN: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 30.
WHERE: Behind Rockaway Athletic Club, 2719 Rosewood Drive.
COST: Admission is free. An ATM will be on-site if you want to purchase artwork, food or craft beer.
Noon-1 p.m.: Dr. Roundhouse
1:30-2:30 p.m.: Skeleton
3-4 p.m.: Alarm Drum
4:30-5:30 p.m.: Grace Joyner
6-7 p.m.: Mechanical River
7:30-8:30 p.m.: FatRat Da Czar
9-10 p.m.: Debbie and the Skanks
11 a.m.-noon: Mark Taylor Jr. Band
12:30-1:30 p.m.: Grand Republic
2-3 p.m.: Mark Rapp
3:30-4:30 p.m.: Cletus Baltimore
5-6 p.m.: Post Timey String Band
6:30-7:30 p.m.: Flat Out Strangers