It’s not really about the running.
While running enthusiasts can certainly record times and log miles, the Glo Run 5K is just as appealing to those who are not enthusiastic runners.
On Saturday, June 18, the Glo Run 5K, an electric nighttime race that feels more like a party than a 3.11-mile run, will be held at the Palmetto Health Fields at Saluda Shoals Park. It’s one in a series of summer fun runs, presented by the Columbia Regional Sports Council, in collaboration with Irmo Chapin Recreation Commission.
The route will be lit up with lights, glow sticks and neon tunnels. Participants are encouraged to bring flashlights, headlamps or wear neon body paint that can be applied at a station before the run.
And if that’s not enough to make it fun, there is a theme – a 1980s theme. As in, runners are encouraged to wear ’80s-themed costumes. A DJ will play songs like “Rock With You,” “Celebration” and “9 to 5.”
“Everyone just comes out for a fun time,” said Ashley Smith, Irmo-Chapin Recreation Commission market development director. “The more people we can get out to see the park, the better.”
But before the race, there will be a costume contest.
You can dress like regular people from the ’80s with shorter shorts, leg warmers, parachute pants or Members Only jackets with Joan Collins-big hair or a MacGyver-style mullet. Or you could mimic a celebrity or character from that decade. With so many characters to inspire you, it’s difficult to narrow them to four choices. But here’s a try:
1) Magnum PI. With Thomas Magnum’s happy-go-lucky charm, he was definitely one of the decade’s most popular TV characters. Tom Selleck starred in the series from 1980-88. Find a curly wig, a Hawaiian shirt, short shorts and, of course, an impressive mustache, and you’ll have everyone humming the theme from the show. Driving up in a Ferrari is optional.
2) Michael Jackson. Released in November 1982, “Thriller” rocked the ’80s for the King of Pop. Add a curly wig that skims the shoulders and leaves a couple of locks hanging on your forehead – and one sequined glove shouldn’t be optional.
3) Princess Diana. Then the wife of England’s heir-apparent, Diana ruled the ’80s, especially with besotted fans in the U.S., who swooned at her royal love story. Dress like a kindergarten teacher, and offer a few demur smiles. A tiara is definitely not optional.
4) Mr. T, or B.A. Baracus. Mr. T was the actor who played Baracus on the TV show “A Team,” but they’re pretty much the same. If you’re serious about mimicking Mr. T, you’ll need a mohawk. And lots of gold necklaces. And earrings. A beard. Arriving in a 1983 GMC Vandura cargo van is optional.
5) So holding it to four was too difficult. And besides, how can you leave off Star Wars? The original – as in the first one to ever be filmed – was released in 1977, but the next two came out in 1980 and 1983. That provides a whole cast of possibilities, including Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, Yoda and Han Solo. Light saber not optional.
The last of the summer fun runs is the Bubble Run on Saturday, July 16. Participants will wear white t-shirts and at each kilometer, will run through a different “foam bog” that will cover runners from head to toe. Each of the four bogs feature a different color of foam. Once participants have slipped, slid and laughed their way through the finish line, the fun continues with an after party with dancing, a DJ and even more foam
If you go
Glo Run 5K
WHEN: Saturday, June 18. Last-minute registration, 7:35 p.m.; costume contest, 8:45; race start, 9:05.
WHERE: Palmetto Health Fields at Saluda Shoals Park, 5605 Bush River Road
COST: Registration is $60 at www.theglorun.com/columbia.