1. Ensure programs that are fee-based actually cover the costs of the programs. At a minimum, tie our fee-based programs to the Consumer Price Index or some other index so that fees could be raised or lowered to meet that index.
2. Have a centralized facility in Columbia. We are currently in more than 20 buildings in Columbia. A centralized campus would be better for the public and would help management and communications. It would be more energy efficient than our current buildings and could actually save the state money in the long run.
3. Ease some of the state’s administrative regulations on procurement and purchasing. We continue to be wise stewards of our resources, including our fiscal resources. We need to be able to take advantage of favorable market conditions for goods and services.
4. Have more competitive salaries for our professional staff.
Never miss a local story.
5. Have more consistent funding from all sources to address current and emerging issues.