- From Sept. 11, 2001, to Sept. 15, 2009, more than 472,000 tons of cargo and nearly 50,000 passengers have been airlifted from Charleston to Afghanistan and Iraq.
- There have been nearly 42,000 departures from Charleston during that same time.
- Of those flights, about 30,000 were C-17s; nearly 2,500 were C-5 departures. The rest were other military or contractor aircraft.
- Since April 2007, the Air Force has airlifted more than 3,800 mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicles to Afghanistan and Iraq from Charleston.
Never miss a local story.
- From Jan. 1 to Sept. 15 this year, there have been 4,109 departures of military and contractor aircraft from Charleston. Included in that total: 3,244 C-17s and 198 C-5s.
SOURCE: AIR FORCE AIR MOBILITY COMMAND, SCOTT AIR FORCE BASE, ILL.