Offensive lineman expected to be 'full go' in six weeks
South Carolina starting offensive tackle Jarriel King is recovering from his second heart procedure in the past two years, an athletics department spokesman said Tuesday.
King underwent a cardiac ablation last week to correct an irregular heartbeat, according to media relations director Steve Fink. Dr. Craig McCotter performed the procedure in Greenville. Fink said King is expected to be "full go" in six weeks.
King, a senior from North Charleston who has started 19 games the past two years, was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation several years ago.
He has tried to regulate it through medication in the past, and in January 2009 underwent his first ablation - a relatively noninvasive procedure in which electrical energy is used to get the heart back in normal rhythm.
King has had a couple of health scares since transferring from Georgia Military College before the 2008 season. He was transported from Williams-Brice Stadium to a Columbia hospital two years ago after experiencing a heart episode in the weight room, and has been held out of several practices.
But the 6-foot-5, 310-pound King never has indicated he would quit playing because of the condition.
"I've still gotta work with it," King said last year. "I've got it. What can I do? I keep on going."
Hyman, Edwards happy where they are. Newberry athletics director and former USC standout Brad Edwards said he has not been contacted about the vacant AD position at N.C. State, where Lee Fowler announced last week he was stepping down.
Edwards, who grew up in Fayetteville, N.C., was mentioned in a published report in North Carolina as a possible candidate in Raleigh.
"N.C. State's a great institution. Clearly, you'd want to listen to someone like that. ... That's an elite school," Edwards said. "But we've got a lot of work we want to do here at Newberry."
Also, USC athletics director Eric Hyman said he is not interested in the position at N.C. State, where he was an assistant AD in the early 1990s. Hyman, in his fifth year at USC, launched a $200 million facilities plan that is in its second phase.
Hyman would not say whether he had been contacted by N.C. State, but said his commitment is to USC.
"I think that's what it's always been, trying to do the best job I possibly can. I'm not looking to leave the University of South Carolina," he said. "We've made some progress. We still have a lot of hard work ahead of us. But we're starting to see some things crystallize, which has been extremely rewarding and a tremendous team effort."
Facilities update. The Gamecocks' tennis teams will have to spend another year at the Maxcy Gregg courts.
Hyman said procurement delays have pushed back the opening of a new, $4.6 million tennis facility. Officials were hoping to begin using the new facility for the 2011 season.
The good news: Hyman said the bid for the demolition of the Roost building and Sarge Frye Field, where the tennis facility will be located, came in 58 percent lower than projected. Hyman hopes demolition work can begin in June, with construction to start a month later.