Monday evening thunderstorms that rolled through the Midlands were just the start for a potentially rainy weekend, according to forecasts provided by the National Weather Service.
Evening rains, just under 2 inches according to rain totals at Hamilton-Owens Airport, flooded many low-lying streets throughout Columbia, making them impassable for about an hour. The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for the area shortly after the storms began.
The weather service is calling for more rain through the rest of the week starting with a 30 percent chance of less than an inch of precipitation beginning Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday will be mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers beginning at 1 a.m.
However Thursday will kickoff a rain-filled weekend with a 50 percent chance of showers, which increase to 60 percent in the evening, according to weather service forecasts. The chance of rain decreases Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon with a 40 percent chance of rain throughout that time period, according to the weather service.
Never miss a local story.
Saturday night that chance of rain decreases slightly to 30 percent, which continues through Sunday afternoon, according to the weather service.