- The Palmetto Garden Club will host the 59th annual Old Rose Show at the State Fair on Oct. 14.
There is no pre-registration. Bring entries between 7:45 and 10:15 a.m. to the Ellison Building via gate 11 on Bluff Road. All entries must be placed by 10:45 a.m. Judging will begin at 11 a.m. Awards and prizes will be given.
Old garden roses must have been introduced prior to 1950 or be of an undetermined introduction date. Information: scstatefair.org. Questions: (803) 782-8325.
Never miss a local story.
- The South Carolina Native Plant Society will hold its annual symposium Oct. 17-18 at Poinsett State Park.
There will be talks about Rocky Shoals spider lilies, Carolina seeps and urban forests. Workshops on bog gardening and landscaping with native plants also will be taught. You do not have to be a member to attend the symposium. Field trips include Congaree National Monument's big trees, Sparkleberry swamp, kayaking and USC's urban forest. Information: scnps.org/symposium.html
- Join S.C. Midlands Master Gardeners to learn planting techniques and survival strategies for newly planted trees and shrubs. The free workshops include information on tree and shrub selection.
Oct. 8, 6:30 p.m.: Irmo branch of the Lexington County Public Library. 6251 St. Andrews Road. Reservations suggested: (803) 798-7880
Oct. 11, 3 p.m.: Main Branch of the Richland County Public Library. 1431 Assembly St. Reservations not needed.
Oct. 14, 6:30 p.m.: Cayce/West Columbia branch of the Lexington County Library. 1500 Augusta Hwy., West Columbia. Reservations suggested: (803) 799-9084, ext. 2
Oct. 15, 6:30 p.m.: Camden branch of the Kershaw County Library, 1304 Broad St. Reservations suggested: (803) 425-1508
- Here are some upcoming workshops and events at Wingard's Nursery, 1403 North Lake Drive, Lexington:
Art in the Garden: 7 p.m. Oct. 9. A fundraiser to benefit Lexington Interfaith Community Services. Tickets are $20 and must be purchased in advance.
Trees for shade and color: 10 a.m. Oct. 17
Information: wingardsnursery.com or (803) 359-9091
- Learn how to get your containers ready for autumn on Oct. 10 at Woodley's Garden Center's Fall Festival.
The hands-on seminar, "60 minutes or less to a fabulous fall container," will be at 10 a.m. at Woodley's Two Notch and Brickyard roads location and 2 p.m. at the Irmo store (S.C. 6). Information: woodleygardencenter.com, (803) 788-1487 (Northeast Richland), (803) 407-0601 (Irmo/Ballentine)