- The Columbia Garden Club's annual Fall Plant Exchange is set for 10 a.m. Oct. 17 at the Forest Park Shopping Center (home of the Piggly Wiggly) at 4711 Forest Drive.
If you have plants to exchange, please label them in pots or plastic bags. You can bring perennials, herbs, trees, shrubs and rootings from your shrubs. You do not have to bring a plant to take some home. A botanist and a master gardener will be available to help with plant identification.
Never miss a local story.
- The Palmetto Garden Club will host the 59th annual Old Rose Show at the State Fair on Wednesday.
There is no pre-registration. Bring entries between 7:45 and 10:15 a.m. to the Ellison Building via gate 11 on Bluff Road. All entries must be placed by 10:45 a.m. Judging will begin at 11 a.m. Awards and prizes will be given.
Old garden roses must have been introduced prior to 1950 or be of an undetermined introduction date. Information: scstatefair.org. Questions: (803) 782-8325.
- The South Carolina Native Plant Society will hold its annual symposium Oct. 17-18 at Poinsett State Park.
There will be talks about rocky shoals spider lilies, Carolina seeps and urban forests. Workshops on bog gardening and landscaping with native plants also will be taught. You do not have to be a member to attend the symposium. Field trips include Congaree National Monument's big trees, Sparkleberry swamp, kayaking and USC's urban forest. Information: scnps.org/symposium.html
- Now is the time to start thinking about bulbs. Riverbanks Botanical Garden's bulb sale is set for Nov. 7. All of the bulbs are chosen by Riverbanks horticulturists. For best selection, you can order bulbs at www.riverbanks.org. Or you can shop at the sale 9 a.m.-noon Nov. 7 in the Bog Garden Plaza at the West Columbia entrance.
- Join S.C. Midlands Master Gardeners to learn planting techniques and survival strategies for newly planted trees and shrubs. The free workshops include information on tree and shrub selections.
Today, 3 p.m.: Main branch of the Richland County Public Library. 1431 Assembly St. Reservations not needed.
Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.: Cayce/West Columbia branch of the Lexington County Library. 1500 Augusta Hwy., West Columbia. Reservations suggested: (803) 799-9084, ext. 2
Thursday, 6:30 p.m.: Camden branch of the Kershaw County Library, 1304 Broad St. Reservations suggested: (803) 425-1508
- Here are some upcoming workshops and events at Wingard's Nursery, 1403 North Lake Drive, Lexington:
Trees for shade and color, 10 a.m. Oct. 17
Information: wingardsnursery.com or (803) 359-9091