Sharing your home over the holidays is what the season is all about. But it also can be trying, especially if you're busy and unable to be the most attentive host.
Here are some easy tricks, from Woman's Day magazine, to make sure your houseguests are as comfortable in your home as you are - or even more so - without feeling like you have to go overboard.
1. Test-drive the guestroom. Sleep in the bed yourself for a night. (You'll be surprised.) Now, make the room more comfortable. Fix the drafty windows, get an alarm clock that actually works, and replace the weird blanket.
2. Create space. This is the part people forget: Guests need ample shelf space in the bedroom, bathroom and front hallway for their suitcases and stuff.
Never miss a local story.
3. Jazz things up. Add some books or magazines you think particular guests would like, and if you can, your guests' favorite toiletries.
4. Take inventory. Check that you have enough serving dishes, wineglasses, unstained sheets, towels, washcloths and air mattresses for the incoming crew. There's no reason to buy what you don't have borrow from a friend.
5. Lay out entertainment. What sort of vegging out do these guests enjoy? The more you offer, the less entertaining you'll have to do. Place multiple options in plain sight: a TV remote, board games, ingredients for a baking project, movies.