Pet cats perish in Lugoff barn fire
11/13/2013 8:16 PM
11/13/2013 9:17 PM
A fire whipped by high winds destroyed a barn in Lugoff Tuesday night. After the blaze was put out, firefighters discovered that “multiple cats, treasured family pets” were killed in the blaze, Lugoff fire chief Dennis Ray said in a news release.
As many as six cats were trapped in the barn, which was located on Guion Drive off Lachiotte Road in Lugoff, Ray said.
When firefighters arrived on scene Tuesday night, they discovered a raging blaze that had already spread to nearby woods near the barn and threatened a neighbor’s detached garage. Winds gusting to 30 miles per hour were pushing the blaze toward other houses.
While the investigation continues, a space heater is thought responsible for the blaze, Ray said.
-- Rachael Myers Lowe
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.