A tracking dog for the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office has died after suffering severe burns in a fire at the agency’s kennel, according to a news release.
Blue, a Bluetick mixed tracking bloodhound, was taken to an emergency veterinary hospital in Mount Pleasant on Saturday. He died Monday after extensive medical treatment, according to the release.
“It was apparent Blue would not recover from injuries sustained in the fire and his condition continued to decline. After consultation with the medical staff, the tough decision was made to euthanize Blue to alleviate any prolonged pain and suffering,” the release said.
The dog was inside the Sheriff’s Office’s canine facility at 430 North Fraser St. around 1:15 p.m. when the fire started, the Sheriff’s Office release said. Fire officials responded, removed all the dogs and put out the fire. The other animals are safe.
Never miss a local story.
The kennels were recently renovated and officials said it appears the fire started when one of the dogs chewed and exposed some wiring, which ignited the blaze.
The Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office obtained Blue through the S.C. Law Enforcement Division. Blue was trained for seven months and was one year old when he died.
Contact CLAIRE BYUN at 626-0381 and follow her on Twitter @Claire_TSN.