If you are among the 6.4 million victims of the massive data breach at the S.C. Department of Revenue, you have some choices to make as the first anniversary approaches next month.
The free year of state-sponsored credit-report monitoring with Experian’s ProtectMyID service begins expiring at the end of October.
With aid from the S.C. Department of Consumer Affairs, here are your options to monitor your tax information, including Social Security numbers, stolen in the nation’s largest breach at a state agency:
1. Place a security freeze
• Equifax: (800) 685-1111 or www.freeze.equifax.com
• Experian: (888) 397-3742 or www.experian.com/freeze
• TransUnion: (800) 680-7289 or freeze.transunion.com
2. Get another free year of monitoring from CSID
3. Buy your own credit monitoring and take a state tax deduction