Snapchat silent after security breach
01/02/2014 8:54 PM
01/02/2014 8:55 PM
Snapchat, the disappearing-message service popular with young people, has been quiet following a security breach that allowed hackers to collect the usernames and phone numbers of millions of its users.
Company spokeswoman Mary Ritti said Thursday morning that the company is assessing the situation, but did not have further comment.
As Americans rang in the New Year, hackers reportedly published 4.6 million Snapchat usernames and phone numbers on a website called snapchatdb.info, which has since been suspended. The breach came less than a week after security experts alerted Snapchat of a vulnerability in its system and warned that an attack could take place.
In response to the warning, Snapchat said in a blog post last Friday that it had implemented “various safeguards” over the past year that would make it more difficult to steal large sets of phone numbers. But the measures appear to have fallen short.
The incident bruises the image of a young company that reportedly turned down a $3 billion buyout offer from Facebook last year.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.