BlueCross works out arrangement to keep Nason in network

08/01/2014 2:59 PM

08/01/2014 3:00 PM

BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina has reached an agreement with Nason Medical Center that allows the Lowcountry-based urgent care centers to remain in-network next year.

The insurance giant had recently notified customers of Nason and MEDCare that those urgent care centers would be moved to out-of-network in many BlueCross policies. The change announced Friday covers only Nason, which has five facilities in the Charleston area. MEDcare has three facilities in the Midlands, three in the Lowcountry and one in Anderson.

“Nason’s leadership demonstrated a good faith effort in working with us to address cost concerns,” said Jim Deyling, president of the private business division of BlueCross. “We have been on the record as saying that our fundamental obligation is to balance access and cost on behalf of our membership. It is always a challenge, and today’s evolving health care environment makes fulfilling that obligation even more complicated.”

Dr. Barron Nason, co-founder and chief medical officer at Nason, praised BlueCross as honest and fair in negotiations. “Now we can get back to focusing on urgent care that is fast, friendly and affordable,” Nason said.

While Nason had been relatively low key about the network change, the leaders of MEDcare have set up online petitions and asked physicians and major employers to write to BlueCross to complain about the network changes planned for October.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service