Local & State
Lexington County hopes building will attract Amazon neighbor
Lexington County is building a 120,000-square-foot facility in hopes of attracting another commercial neighbor for the Amazon distribution center near Cayce. Plans call for the $5.9 million building to be finished by summer, county economic development director Chuck Whipple said. It is designed for conversion into a manufacturing site or warehouse, he said. The project is a first venture of its kind for the county, but Whipple said it is necessary to remain competitive in attracting industry with major payrolls.
Never miss a local story.
H+M opening Myrtle Beach store next year
H+M will open next year in Myrtle Beach’s Coastal Grand mall. The retailer – with a business model of selling quality fashion and accessories for women, men, teenagers and children at the best price – plans to open its 20,000-square-foot store near the food court next October. H+M has two other stores in South Carolina, both in Charleston.
Nation & World
Maker of faulty airbags told to speed up making replacement parts
U.S. auto safety regulators are telling a company that made faulty air bags to manufacture replacement parts faster and do more testing to find out what’s causing the problem. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, under fire for its slow response to safety issues, sent letters Wednesday to Japanese air bag maker Takata Corp. and 10 automakers seeking information about air bags.
Operators of drones, model airplanes over sports stadiums, auto tracks face fines, prison
Operators who fly drones or model planes near or over large sports stadiums and auto racetracks are breaking the law and can be fined and imprisoned for up to a year, the Federal Aviation Administration warned in a notice posted on the agency’s website. The notice marks the first time the FAA has sought to criminalize the use of drones and model planes, attorneys representing drone users said.
• Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said Wednesday it will hold a public stock offering to sell off 10 percent of its high-end subsidiary brand Ferrari and distribute the remaining 90 percent to its current shareholders.
• UPS expects to deliver more than 34 million packages on the busiest day of the holiday season, double the amount on a normal day. The Atlanta company expects the peak day to be Monday, Dec. 22.
Tim Flach, The Associated Press and The (Myrtle Beach) Sun News contributed.