Airfares at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport continued to decrease during the second quarter of this year, according to a new report by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The average ticket price at GSP decreased 0.1 percent to $415.36, compared to $415.75 during the second quarter of 2013, the report showed.
The airport's customers paid $21.09 less during the three months ending in June than fliers out of Charlotte Douglas International Airport and $19.98 less than Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport's customers, according to the report.
It was the third consecutive quarter of falling prices at GSP, which remained at No. 38 on a list of 100 domestic airports ranked by their itinerary fare in the report. The national average was $395.62, which was $19.74 less than the local average.
Never miss a local story.
GSP spokeswoman Rosylin Weston encouraged customers to continue to keep the airport on their radar as they search for the best rates.
“This (report) is great news,” Weston said. “It doesn't mean we're the lowest on every fare, every time. But it does mean that we are no longer one the most expensive airports in the country.”
Orlando Sanford International Airport's average of $101.36 per ticket was the cheapest on the DOT list. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport's average of $523.33 was the highest.
Charleston International Airport was ranked 42nd on the list with an average ticket price of $412.22.
The report showed GSP's fares have decreased almost 40 percent since the second quarter of 2000, when the average price was $690.11. Although the airport's ticket price decline isn't quite as dramatic as when Southwest Airlines arrived in 2011, the presence of the low-cost carrier has continued to keep prices competitive.
GSP has six airlines — Allegian Air, Delta, Southwest, American, United Express and US Airways — that offer 49 non-stop average daily departures to 15 major cities and 18 airports across the country, the airport said in a statement.
The airport is nearing the end of the most extensive portion of its $125 million main terminal renovation — its core construction.
The project is aimed at increasing GSP's capacity, improving efficiency and safety, incorporating sustainable design and improving the economic landscape of the whole Upstate region. Airport funds are covering 80 percent of the program, and the remaining 20 percent of funding is from a combination federal grants.
For more information, visit: www.gspairport.com.