One rescued, none injured at St. Andrews apartment fire
10/28/2013 11:43 PM
10/29/2013 12:08 AM
One person was rescued from a second-floor balcony, but no one was injured in a fire at a St. Andrews apartment complex on Monday evening.
Brick Lewis, a spokesman for the Columbia Fire Department, said crews were dispatched to the Ashton at Longcreek Apartments at 1401 Longcreek Drive shortly after 9 p.m. Monday. That's off Broad River Road near Interstate 20.
When they arrived, crews found Building 201, which has seven occupied apartments out of 10 altogether, with heavy fire and smoke coming from the second story and roof. One resident was rescued from their balcony.
Lewis said a secondary fire was sparked several apartments away, but it was quickly extinguished.
The Richland County Fire Marshal and the Richland County Sheriff's Department is investigating the fire.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.