Local

February 13, 2014

Coroner: Lowcountry man possibly poisoned by charcoal grill inside home

A 25-year-old Lowcountry man died early Thursday, possibly poisoned by the charcoal heater that he and his family was using to stay warm.

A 25-year-old Lowcountry man died early Thursday, possibly poisoned by the charcoal heater that he and his family was using to stay warm.

Audiel Lopez-Marroquin, who lived in a Berkeley County mobile home, is believed to have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, Coroner Bill Salisbury announced. Salisbury said he would await final toxicology reports before a final ruling was made.

Salisbury said EMS was called at about 2 a.m. Thursday to the home, where Lopez-Marroquin was found deceased and his wife was found ill. She was reported to a local hospital.

A charcoal grill was found in an enclosed bedroom, where it was being used for heat.

The Berkeley County Coroner’s Office and the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office are investigating.

Lopez-Marroquin is the fourth person who has died as a result of the winter storm still gripping the state.

Marion County Supervisor Tim Harper said one person was killed and another injured Thursday morning in a house fire in Marion. Harper says the blaze started as the victim was trying to keep the home warm after the power went out.

The Highway Patrol blamed at least two traffic deaths on icy conditions.

Troopers say a 24-year-old passenger died when a car hit a tree around 2 a.m. Thursday in Hampton County. A woman died around 8 a.m. Wednesday when she lost control of her vehicle on Interstate 95 in Clarendon County and hit the back of a Department of Natural Resources truck on the side of the road helping a motorist.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos