Unattended candle blamed for Monday morning house fire

03/31/2014 12:44 PM

03/31/2014 12:46 PM

A Monday house fire off Parklane Road that caused $35,000 in damage was caused by an unattended candle.

Officers responded to the fire, on Park View Drive, at about 11:40 a.m. Heavy fire and smoke coming from the roof and front of the structured greeted firefighters.

The fire was quickly under control and no injuries were reported. The Red Cross has been contacted, according to Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis.

“I encourage residents to never leave candles unattended even for a moment,” said Fire Chief Aubrey D. Jenkins in a statement. “As we witnessed today how quick a small fire led to significant damage to this home.”

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service