Hampton, Quarles cleared in NYC incident
05/01/2014 12:31 AM
05/01/2014 12:33 AM
Former South Carolina star Victor Hampton will not face charges in connection to an alleged assault at the now-closed New York City nightclub Greenhouse, according to his attorney.
Former teammate Kelcy Quarles also has been cleared, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Quarles and Hampton were being sought by New York City police after a 28-year-old man suffered “multiple injuries to the face” during an incident at the nightclub on April 11, a police spokesman told The State last week.
“Vic has been anxious to respond to the false allegations but was advised not to discuss the matter publicly, so he refrained. However, he cooperated with law enforcement and the investigators determined that he did nothing wrong,” Hampton’s attorney, Lowell Bernstein told The State via email on Wednesday evening. “Frankly, he was a victim in this case. He is glad that the truth of the matter is now known.”
ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said last week he did not expect the incident to hurt the draft stock of either player. Kiper predicted Quarles, an All-American defensive tackle who led the Gamecocks with 9.5 sacks, would be selected in the fifth round and Hampton, a cornerback who had three interceptions and led the team with nine pass breakups last season, would be selected between rounds four and seven.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.