Local

June 26, 2014

Columbia Fire Department respond to Olympia house fire and save more than just the house

Columbia firefighters responded to a house fire Wednesday in Olympia neighborhood and discovered more than just the house needed rescuing.

Columbia firefighters responding to a fire in the Olympia neighborhood Wednesday found more than just a house that needed saving.

Inside, firefighters found a cat that was unresponsive. Firefighters began chest compressions on the cat and administered oxygen using a donated Wagn’N O2 Fur Life pet oxygen kit.

After several minutes, the cat regained consciousness. Firefighters cared for the cat until Columbia Animal Services took custody and found its owner.

A news release from the Columbia Fire Department said the cat, named Soldier, is still recovering.

The pet oxygen kit contains a specially designed animal oxygen mask and other materials that help firefighters when they encounter conscious and unconscious animals.

Brick Lewis, a Fire Department spokesman, said the Tryon Street fire was started by a shortage in an electrical strip. The home’s occupants were not in the house at the time of the fire.

The blaze caused $11,000 in damage, Lewis said.

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos