South Carolina Electric and Gas workers have fixed the gas leak that forced some residents in the area to evacuate their homes for precautionary reasons.
Brick Lewis, a fire department spokesman, said SCE&G workers fixed the natural gas leak and residents that were evacuated are now being allowed to reenter their homes.
Roads in the area will remain closed as firefighters and workers continue to clear the area.
Lewis said a natural gas leak has closed traffic on the 3400 block of Deerfield Drive between Pine Belt and Barnes Springs roads.
Never miss a local story.
Lewis said nine homes, although some of them were not occupied at the time of the leak, were evacuated for precautionary measures.
Ginny Jones, a SCANA spokeswoman, said the gas leak was caused after a contractor working on water lines accidentally struck the gas line.