Calls about three unrelated fires around the same time Monday night had many in Columbia believing there was a much larger blaze than there actually was.
Three calls came into the Columbia Fire Department within 45 minutes around 11 p.m. Monday, fire department spokesman Brick Lewis said. Two of the calls were for minor incidents – a dryer fire inside the laundry room of an apartment complex and a faulty smoke detector at a residence – both in the Old Woodlands area of Garners Ferry Road.
The most significant call was for a fire at an unoccupied house on Ogden Street about a block off Two Notch Road near downtown Columbia. That fire caused minimal damage since there was very little inside the home, said Lewis who was on the scene Monday night. He estimated the damage to be about $5,000 in that fire which continues to be under investigation.
While Monday night’s number of calls isn’t unusual for the fire department, it is sometimes unusual for emergency vehicles returning from one fire to then respond to another while en route which was the case here, Lewis explained. Firefighters leaving the Garners Ferry Road area quickly responded to the structure fire on Two Notch Road, he said.
Never miss a local story.
No injuries were reported in any of the incidents.