Authorities said they have identified the Elloree man who died after saving his wife from a house fire that broke out at their home Saturday afternoon.
Orangeburg County Fire Chief Gene Ball said 86-year-old William Herbert Jones died from medical complications as a result of the fire at the scene. Jones was transported directly to Avinger Funeral Home.
Ball said firefighters and emergency medical service responders received a call of a house fire at 340 Stack Avenue in Elloree at 1:15 p.m.
Ball said although the investigation is still underway, officials have determined that the fire started from a space heater that the couple used in the back room.
Never miss a local story.
“It was a heroic act of Mr. Jones that the last thing he did as get his wife out of that house,” Ball said.
Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. Dec. 23 at the Jerusalem United Methodist Church and the burial to follow in the cemetery. The family will receive friends at the church Dec. 22 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the home of Thomas Jones located on 7238 Old Number Six Highway in Elloree.