Columbia fire officials say someone doused gasoline on a North Columbia home and set it on fire while a man was inside asleep.
The man at 5105 Holmes Ave. awoke to the smell of gas and dialed 911 at 7:57 a.m. Firefighters arrived at 8:03 a.m. and discovered the back window had burned but had not caused any significant damage.
The fire had put itself out, said Aubrey Jenkins, deputy chief for the Columbia Fire Department.
The Richland County Fire Marshal is investigating. If you have any information, call the South Carolina Arson Hotline at (800)-92-ARSON.