With Tropical Storm Ida dumping inches of rain on Columbia, city officials are encouraging residents to take steps to help prevent flooding. They include:
- Don't place yard debris out prior to the day before collection.
- Don't leave grass clippings from freshly mowed yard in the curb line.
- Don't cover catch basin/storm drainage inlets, and if you see one covered, remove the debris.
Never miss a local story.
- Remove your roll cart and recycling bin from the curb as soon as possible.
- Secure loose items to prevent them from blowing into the drainage system or becoming a hazard during heavy winds.
- Report any tree limbs or backed up storm drainage systems that appear to be problems or any non-emergencies to (803) 252-2911. Report all emergencies to 911.