A man draining gasoline from his motorcycle accidentally caused a fire that gutted a $250,000 Richland County house in the Hopkins area over the weekend, Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said.
“It was a total loss,” Jenkins said.
The man was draining the gas from the motorcycle in a garage attached to the two-story house when the gas ignited somehow, Jenkins said. Jenkins did not know what caused the gasoline to catch on fire.
Some 25 firefighters on 10 trucks responded to the blaze 1t 117 Ragin Drive in Hopkins, about 12 miles southeast of downtown Columbia, he said.