SULLIVAN’S ISLAND - The public had a chance to visit the Charleston Light, which the National Park Service calls the last major lighthouse built in the United States.
The open house at the light on Sullivan’s Island was held Saturday afternoon.
The light was commissioned in 1962. It replaced the original Charleston Harbor light on Morris Island, which was built in 1876. The Coast Guard transferred the lighthouse to the National Park Service in 2008.
For safety reasons, visitors were not able to climb to the top of the light. But the grounds, quarters and boat house were open to provide a glimpse of maritime history. The open houses are held from time to time.