Toddler dies from E. coli contracted at county fair in NC
10/14/2012 12:00 AM
10/14/2012 1:13 AM
A 2-year-old boy has died from complications of an E. coli infection, and state officials say the victim was among 20 people sickened after they attended the Cleveland County Fair in Shelby.
Saturday, North Carolina health officials said the number of sickened people with either confirmed or probable E. coli had grown to 20, including 14 children.
One of the victims is from South Carolina. All attended the Cleveland County Fair, which was held Sept. 27 to Oct. 7 in Shelby.
Gaston County health director Chris Dobbins said the victims include three who are on dialysis. Four have developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, or HUS, a severe and potentially life-threatening complication.
State officials said the number of people sickened in the outbreak could grow, as symptoms can take up to 10 days to develop.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.