Many Columbia roadways, especially in Five Points and Forest Acres, were impassable and closed following flooding from a severe thunderstorm Monday afternoon.
The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for the central Midlands area as heavy rain moved through Monday afternoon. The warning is in effect until 5:45 p.m.
The Columbia Police Department is reporting areas dealing with flooding issues include:
▪ Five Points, especially the Blossom Street side, most roads in the area have been blocked to traffic
▪ Gervais Street, between Marion and Sumter streets
▪ The intersection of Sumter and Greene streets
▪ The intersection of King and Blossom streets
▪ Senate Street, where vehicles stuck in the water
▪ An impassable area at Blossom and Hilton streets
▪ The corner of Huger and Blossom streets, where there is standing water
▪ The intersections of Green and Assembly streets, Blossom and Assembly streets as well as Harden and College streets where there are flashing traffic lights
▪ MLK Park in the Five Points area is also experiencing flooding
Although the rains might have stopped, concerns remain about high water levels in area creeks and other bodies of water.
The City of Columbia warned if you encounter a flooded street or intersection, turn around; do not attempt to drive through it. Water may be deeper than it appears and can hide many hazards (i.e. sharp objects, washed out road surfaces, electrical wires, chemicals, etc). A vehicle caught in swiftly moving water can be swept away in a matter of seconds. Twelve inches of water can float a car or small SUV and 18 inches of water can carry away large vehicles.
Stay away from storm-damaged areas to include damaged or downed trees and power lines to keep from putting yourself at risk from the effects of severe thunderstorms.
Stay away from downed power lines and report them immediately.
City Cautions Drivers to avoid Flood-Prone Streets and Intersections
- Main and Whaley
- Gervais and Laurens
- Blossom and Henderson
- Blossom and Saluda
- Harden and Santee
- Monroe and Maple
- Two Notch and Read
- Wheat and Amherst
- Adger and Devine
- Wheat and Sumter
- Wheat and Pickens
- Heyward and Ravenel
- Pickens between Wheat and Green
- Barnwell and Pendelton
- Harden and Read
- Harden and Calhoun
- Franklin and Marion
- Franklin and Sumter
- Columbia College and N. Main
- Bull and Laurel