A series of thunderstorms producing strong winds and nickel-sized hail rolled through the Midlands Monday afternoon.
The line of storms traveled a narrow corridor from the Aiken-Augusta area, across portions of Lexington County and continued to move east of I-20 into Kershaw, Lancaster and Chesterfield counties, according to the National Weather Service.
Residents in parts of Fairfield and Kershaw counties, especially in the northern areas, reported storm damage including downed trees and large limbs, according to the weather service. In addition, nickle-sized hail covered the ground in the Lugoff area.
As of 5 p.m., strong rains and thunderstorm activity were expected to continue moving through the area with a 60 percent chance of rain through 8 p.m. and 40 percent chance through midnight. The heaviest activity is expected to be over after sunset with storm activity to weaken after that.
Never miss a local story.
A flood advisory is in effect for Lancaster, Chesterfield and the northern portion of Kershaw counties until 6:30 p.m. Monday. Those areas could get upwards of 2 inches of rain, forecasters said.
This pattern of unstable, very moist air is expected to continue through Wednesday.