Students and faculty at Richland Northeast High School were allowed to return to clsas Tuesday morning following a gas line leak.
The evacuation came early Tuesday morning after a construction crew in the area struck a gas line causing a leak of natural gas, according to Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis.
Fire crews responded to reports of a natural gas leak near the school just before 9 a.m. Tuesday morning, Lewis said. As a precaution, the school was evacuated while SCE&G workers began repairs on the gas line. There are no injuries reported.
Lewis said firefighters and SCE&G workers remained on site until the gas line is prepared and the school is inspected for any possible hazards.