Tuesday evening’s showers brought record rainfall to Columbia compared to the same day in previous years and more rain is expected to fall in the coming days.
Readings collected at the Columbia Metropolitan Airport showed that 2.4 inches of rain fell, beating out the previous record for June 2 which was set in 1903 with 2.3 inches. A total of 2.7 inches of rain fell at Jim Hamilton - L.B. Owens Airport Wednesday, totaling over 4 inches in the past 48 hours. The rain caused flooding in many low-lying areas throughout the city.
The National Weather Service is predicting a 60 percent chance of rain, totaling three quarters of an inch, falling after 3 p.m. Wednesday. The weather service says the chance of rain will taper off to 40 percent Thursday morning when an estimated quarter of an inch of rain predicted to fall.