Political races for elected posts in Richland and Lexington counties are about to shift into high gear.
After weeks or months of preparation, candidates officially will file for several offices starting Wednesday through March 30.
Some incumbents face challengers. Other races will have all new faces as incumbents decline to run again.
Primary elections to settle on Democratic and Republican nominees for each post are June 14, with run-offs slated for June 28 if needed. Voters will make their final ballot choices Nov. 8.
Never miss a local story.
Below is a list of incumbents and challengers who have filed fund-raising reports with the State Ethics Commission or who have announced they will run. Asterisks denote incumbents. Some incumbents have not announced their plans.
▪ District 2: Democrat – Joyce Dickerson*
▪ District 3: Democrat – Damon Jeter*
▪ District 7: No candidates have announced plans.
▪ District 8: Democrat – Jim Manning*, Wayne Gilbert
▪ District 9: Democrat – Julie-Ann Dixon*
▪ District 10: Democrat – Kelvin Washington*, Helen Taylor Bradley
Sheriff: Democrat – James Flowers, Leon Lott*
Clerk of Court: No candidates have announced plans.
Coroner: No candidates have announced plans.
▪ District 1 (Gaston, Swansea and Pelion): Republican – Jim Kinard*
▪ District 3 (Lexington area): Republican – Kent Collins*, Brad Matthews
▪ District 4 (Springdale, Oak Grove and Lexington): Republican – Debbie Summers*, Gene Wilbur
▪ District 5 (Red Bank and South Congaree): Republican – Bobby Keisler*
District 6 (Chapin, Irmo and Lexington): Republican – Erin Long Bergeson, Benjamin Stitely, Dino Teppara
Auditor: Republican – Chris Harmon*
Clerk of Court: Republican – Lisa Comar, Emily Hinson, Mollie Taylor
Coroner: Republican – Margaret Fisher*, Glenn Ross
Register of Deeds: Republican – Craig Adams, Rich Bolen, Dan Gregory, Michael Green, Tina Guerry, Joyce Munsch
Sheriff: Republican – Kerry Johnson, Jay Koon*; Independent – John Elkin
Solicitor: Republican – Donnie Myers*, Larry Wedekind
Treasurer: Republican – Jim Eckstrom*