Police say a Charlotte man stole things from a northern Charlotte home over the weekend – while the homeowner’s dead body was still inside.
Pressley Davis Jr., 20, has been charged with burglary, larceny after breaking and entering, larceny of a motor vehicle, possession of a stolen vehicle, possession of a firearm by a felon and six counts of larceny of a firearm. He was in the Mecklenburg jail late Tuesday with bail set at $445,000.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say Davis targeted the home on Jennie Linn Drive because the roll-out garbage can hadn’t been brought in from the curb and the mailbox was stuffed with mail.
“The victim died of natural causes before Mr. Davis chose to prey upon his residence,” police said.
Police were alerted around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday by a 911 caller who said he saw several men leave the home and ride off in the homeowner’s car.
Responding officers found the homeowner’s body inside the home but have not released the person’s identity. Police did not say how long the homeowner had been dead.
They notified other officers to be on the lookout for the stolen car.
On Sunday, the car was spotted a little over a mile away from the burglarized home, on Blendwood Drive, just off the Plaza.
Davis and another person were inside. Both were taken to CMPD headquarters, where detectives questioned them.
At the end of the interview, Davis was charged. Police determined the other person in the car hadn’t committed a crime.
Police think several people stole from the house on Jennie Linn Drive and encouraged anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.