Crime

March 20, 2014

Two teen-age girls charged in bomb threat that emptied Gilbert High School

Lexington authorities charged two 15-year-old Gilbert High School students with ‘communicating a bomb threat’ through text messages to a classmate. The two girls told deputies they sent the message around 10:15am in order to get classes cancelled for the day, Lexington County Sheriff James Metts said in a release Thursday night.

Lexington authorities charged two 15-year-old Gilbert High School students with ‘communicating a bomb threat’ through text messages to a classmate. The two girls told deputies they sent the message around 10:15am in order to get classes cancelled for the day, Lexington County Sheriff James Metts said in a release Thursday night.

Lexington authorities charged two 15-year-old Gilbert High School students with ‘communicating a bomb threat’ through text messages to a classmate. The two girls told deputies they sent the message around 10:15 a.m. in order to get classes cancelled for the day, Lexington County Sheriff James Metts said in a release Thursday night.

Gilbert High School was evacuated after Lexington School District One officials say they received a “prank bomb threat.”

“Administrators immediately informed the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department of the incident through the School Resource Officer,” Mary Beth Hill, District spokeswoman.

Staff and students were evacuated to the football stadium, Hill said, and an alert about the evacuation went out to Gilbert High School parents.

“This morning we’ve received what law enforcement believes could be a prank bomb threat at Gilbert High School,” according to the email. “We have decided to be extremely cautious, however, and have evacuated the school and have the Lexington County Sheriff’s Office onsite now.”

Students were outside for about two hours, and emergency responders said there was never any danger to students or staff, Hill said.

The District also had to investigate a rumored threat being circulated by students earlier this week. Administrators said Wednesday those threats were unfounded.

One of the girls is believed to be responsible for Tuesday’s bomb threat at the school, Sheriff Metts said.

Metts said he will urge the girls be prosecuted for the crime in family court in Lexington County on charges of communicating a bomb threat and disturbing schools.

-- Rachael Myers Lowe contributed to this report

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos