Someone broke into 18 vehicles in the Woodcreek neighborhood of Lexington early Wednesday morning, Lexington city police chief Terrence Green said. The burglars made off with a variety of valuables that had been left in the unlocked vehicles including a handgun, laptops, cigarettes and sunglasses. Green doesn’t know why some of the stolen items were abandoned but speculated that something may have spooked the burglars.
Green reminded residents to take these simple steps to avoid being the victim of an auto break-in:
• Remove all valuables from your vehicles when being left unattended even if in your own driveway
• Lock your vehicles when unattended.
• Never keep valuables in your vehicle such as laptops, tablets or weapons.
• Always take your purse with you when leaving your vehicle unattended.
• Park in well-lit, highly visible areas.
Anyone with information about the break-ins are urged to call the Lexington Police at 803-359-6260 or Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIMESC. You can also text or email a tip to Crimestoppers at www.midlandscrimestoppers.com/.