Man shot, killed at early Sunday morning block party identified

07/20/2014 12:35 PM

07/20/2014 12:36 PM

The Newberry County Coroner’s Office has identified the man who was killed during a block party early Sunday morning.

Coroner Craig Newton said Zemeckis Monteco Devante Houston, 19, of Newberry, was killed a little after 2 a.m. when shots were fired as Newberry County Sheriff’s deputies began dispersing the large crowd.

Newton declined to comment on how many times the victim was shot or where his wounds were located.

Sheriff Lee Foster said sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to Rikard School Road near South Main Street due to traffic congestion and noise complaints. As the deputies attempted to disperse the crowd, shots were fired which sent over 100 people running from the scene.

Foster said in a news release that once deputies were able to make it through the crowd they discovered one person was left dead with a gunshot wound to the head. They were also notified that that another person had been shot and was being transported to a local hospital.

Emergency Medical Service responders at the scene determined that Houston had no signs of life and notified the Newberry County Coroner’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office and the Coroner’s Office will continue to investigate the incident.

Foster said anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at (803) 321-2222 or Crime Stoppers at (888) Crime-SC.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service