Columbia police: House fire leads to meth lab discovery
08/08/2014 11:57 PM
08/08/2014 11:58 PM
Responding to the report of a house fire off Veterans Road Friday night, Columbia police discovered what they believe to be a meth lab at 1033 Coatsdale Road.
Police and firefighters arrived on scene around 5:30pm to discover a man standing in the doorway of the house. He had suffered severe burns as the result of a fire started during the manufacture of methamphetamine in a pot in the house, police spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said in an email.
Officers entered the house to pull the unidentified man to safety. He was taken to the hospital for severe burns. As a precaution, four police officers were also taken to the hospital because of possible exposure to methamphetamine fumes, Timmons said.
The State Law Enforcement Division was on scene of the house fire cleaning up Friday night.
No charges have been filed in the case which is still under investigation.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.