Coffee pot fire causes $50K in damages to Columbia strip mall
08/20/2014 8:10 AM
08/20/2014 9:43 AM
Columbia firefighters say a coffee pot that had been left on for too long caused a fire at a Columbia strip mall Tuesday night.
Crews responded to a smoke in structure call in the 5100 block of Farrow Road around 10:15 p.m. Tuesday night, Brick Lewis, a Columbia Fire Department spokesman, said.
When firefighters arrived, they could see black smoke coming from a barbershop located within the strip mall, but there was no visible fire from the outside, Lewis said.
Lewis said firefighters went in to the business and extinguished the fire, which had spread through the inside of the business, but not the neighboring business in the building.
Crews determined that a coffee pot, left on for too long, caused the contents of the pot to explode and cause the fire.
Lewis said no injuries were reported, and damage estimates are about $50,000.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.