As high school graduation season begins, those attending ceremonies at Colonial Life Arena should remember they may need to pay for parking.
High School graduations started Wednesday at Colonial Life Arena, which also marked the first time some parking garages nearby charged attendees.
Richland 1, Richland 2, Lexington 1 and Lexington-Richland 5 school districts will hold their graduation ceremonies through June 3 at the 18,000-seat arena.
Attendees will have to pay $5 to park at two nearby garages owned by the University of South Carolina’s real estate foundation. Parking previously was free for those ceremonies.
Never miss a local story.
The new fees will reportedly help pay $17 million in mortgages for the Discovery Garage and the Horizon Garage.
Parking will be available for a fee at the following locations:
▪ Columbia City Garages at the corner of Lincoln and Pendleton streets and Washington and Lincoln Streets. No shuttle will be available.
▪ Park Street Garage, with the entrance at the corner of Lincoln and Pendleton streets. No shuttle be will available.
▪ Horizon Garage at the corner of Sumter and Blossom streets. A shuttle will be available.
▪ Discovery Garage on Park Street.
For a full list of parking locations for graduates and attendees, click here.
Reporter Avery G. Wilks contributed to this report.
High School graduations at Colonial Life Arena
▪ 8 a.m. Thursday - Lower Richland
▪ Noon Thursday - Dreher
▪ 4 p.m. Thursday - Eau Claire
▪ 8 a.m. Friday - C.A. Johnson
▪ 8 a.m. Tuesday - White Knoll
▪ Noon Tuesday - Gilbert
▪ 4 p.m. Tuesday - Pelion
▪ 8 a.m. May 31 - River Bluff
▪ Noon May 31 - Lexington
▪ 4 p.m. May 31 - Swansea
▪ 8 a.m. June 1 - Chapin
▪ Noon June 1 - Dutch Fork
▪ 4 pm. June 1 - Irmo
▪ 8 a.m. June 2 - Spring Hill
▪ Noon June 2 - Westwood
▪ 4 p.m. June 2 - Spring Valley
▪ 8 a.m. June 3 - Blythewood
▪ Noon June 3 - Richland Northeast
▪ 4 p.m. June 3 - Ridge View
Source: Colonial Life Arena