Marine, dog escape Beaufort house fire caused by Christmas tree
01/03/2014 9:33 PM
01/03/2014 9:37 PM
A smoke detector and a nipping dog woke a Beaufort Marine late Thursday, likely saving his life and the dog’s after his Christmas tree caught on fire.
Cpl. David Ingles, 22, and his Boston terrier, Hammer, were asleep in their one-story Trask Farm Road home when he heard what he later realized was a window shattering from the heat of the fire.
“It kind of startled me in my sleep, but I didn’t think much of it because the wind was blowing so bad outside,” said Ingles, who is stationed at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island. “Then Hammer bit me, and the alarm went off.
“When I opened my eyes, it was like a black cloud over me.”
So much smoke had filled the home that Ingles had to crawl on the floor to get outside. Once firefighters arrived, they had the flames under control in about 5 minutes and extinguished in half an hour, said Daniel Byrne, spokesman for the Burton Fire District.
The Marine and his dog were uninjured, Byrne said.
“This guy is very much lucky to be alive,” Byrne said. “I firmly believe if he didn’t have a smoke detector, we would have had a fire fatality last night.”
“If I hadn’t woken up, I wouldn’t be here,” he said.
Much of Ingles’ property was destroyed, and he cannot return to the house, which he was renting. The American Red Cross gave Ingles assistance for a hotel this weekend while he makes other arrangements, he said.
The owner of the home, John Keith, said he plans to repair the property.
The small “caretaker” house is about 100 years old, he said, and was on Ribaut Road before Keith renovated it about six years ago and moved it near his other Trask Farm Road property, a Civil War-era Victorian home that he uses for tours.
“It’s definitely fixable,” Keith, 74, said. “We’ll clean, we’ll repaint. That’s all we can do.”
A damage estimate was not available Friday morning. The fire was contained to the room where Ingles kept his Christmas tree, Byrne said.
Families should dispose of real trees when they dry out, he said, because they can become “explosive” if exposed to hot or sparking wires, power surges or open flames.
“At this point, the Christmas trees are getting dry even if you’ve been watering it since the day you put it in your house,” he said. “It’s just waiting for the smallest amount of spark, and it’s going to go up.”
Holiday-related incidents, especially Christmas tree fires, are relatively rare, representatives of several fire departments said. However, the potential always exists and public education continues every year, said Lee Levesque, spokesman for the Lady’s Island Volunteer Fire Department.
Ingles advises others to heed the warning.
“When Christmas is over, take the tree down,” he said.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.