Shaw Air Force Base was on lockdown for about an hour on Monday after a “perceived threat” on the base, according to the 20th Fighter Wing, which handles garrison duty at the installation.
An “active shooter” alert went out to base personnel at 12:40 p.m., but a base spokeswoman said no shots had been fired and no shooter was found. No arrests were made, and an “all clear” message went out to personnel about 1:40 p.m.
“We had a perceived threat on base and precautionary measures were taken, establishing security around several buildings,” Capt. Ashley Norris, a public affairs officer for the fighter wing, said.
Military personnel on the base received this text shortly after noon: “This an active shooter alert for Shaw Air Force Base. Move to a safe location and secure your position until properly notified ALL CLEAR.”
Never miss a local story.
“Something made us aware that there might be a threat” so security measures were taken, said Lt. Jennifer McBride, also a public affairs officer.