Stricter rules could be coming for South Carolina’s “liquor cycles” at the S.C. State House today.
Both the Senate and House transportation committees on Wednesday will take up bills to tighten the state’s rules for mopeds.
If approved, the dual bills would require moped drivers to register with the Department of Motor Vehicles, follow the same traffic rules as all other vehicles, wear reflective vests at night, and would mandate moped drivers younger than 21 years old wear a helmet.
The dangers posed by mopeds have received increased legislative attention in recent years. Moped drivers currently cannot be charged with driving under the influence because mopeds are not considered “motor vehicles” under South Carolina law – earning them the nickname “liquor cycles.”
▪ 9 a.m. Senate Education K-12 Subcommittee, Gressette Room 207
▪ 10 a.m. Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Environmental Subcommittee on S.5, Gressette Room 209
▪ 10 a.m. Senate Labor, Commerce and Industry Labor and Employment Subcommittee, Gressette Room 308
▪ 10 a.m. House Ways and Means Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Subcommittee, Blatt Room 305
▪ 10 a.m. House Ways and Means Legislative, Executive and Local Government Subcommittee, Blatt Room 321
▪ 10 a.m. House Ways and Means Public Education and Special Schools Subcommittee, Blatt Room 521
▪ 10:30 a.m. House Ways and Means Higher Education and Technical Schools Budget Subcommittee, Blatt Room 511
▪ 10:30 a.m. House Ways and Means Transportation and Regulatory Subcommittee, Blatt Room 318
▪ 11 a.m. Senate Transportation Committee, Gressette Room 207
▪ 11 a.m. House Ways and Means Economic Development and Natural Resources Subcommittee, Blatt Room 317
▪ 11 a.m. Beaufort County Legislative Delegation, Blatt Room 201
▪ 11 a.m. House Ways and Means Healthcare Budget Subcommittee, Blatt Room 108
▪ 12 p.m. - 2 p.m. Legislative Luncheon: South Carolina Athletic Trainers' Association, Blatt Room 112
▪ 12:30 p.m. House Legislative Ethics Committee, Blatt Room 110
▪ 1 p.m. Senate Finance Health and Human Services Subcommittee, Gressette Room 209
▪ 1:30 p.m. Senate Labor Commerce and Industry - Regulatory & Local Government Subcommittee, Gressette Room 307
▪ 3 p.m. South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, Blatt Room 110
▪ (30 minutes after the House adjourns) Environment and Natural Resources Subcommittee of the Regulations and Administrative Procedures Committee, Blatt Room 108
▪ (1 hour after the House adjourns) Business, Commerce, and Administrative Subcommittee of the Regulations and Administrative Procedures Committee, Blatt Room 108