Lawmakers will get an update Thursday on any improvements in the state Department of Social Services.
The Senate’s DSS oversight subcommittee will hear updates from department officials on caseloads and turnover, recruitment of foster parents and 2016 data on child fatalities.
South Carolina’s Social Services Department has been plagued with high caseloads and frequent turnover among social workers. From 2009 to mid-2016, the department investigated the deaths of 681 children who had previously been reported to the agency.
▪ 8 a.m. - 10 a.m. Legislative Breakfast – Water Utility Council, Blatt Room 112
▪ 9 a.m. Senate Corrections and Penology Subcommittee on S.271, Gressette Room 209
▪ 9 a.m. Senate Finance Constitutional Subcommittee Budget Hearing, Gressette Room 408
▪ 9 a.m. Business, Commerce, and Administrative Subcommittee of the Regulations and Administrative Procedures Committee, Blatt Room 108
▪ 10 a.m. Senate Medical Affairs Committee, Gressette Room 308
▪ 10 a.m. Senate Fish, Game and Forestry Subcommittee, Gressette Room 207
▪ (Upon adjournment of the Senate) Senate General DSS Oversight Subcommittee, Gressette Room 308
▪ (Immediately upon adjournment of the House) SC General Assembly Women's Caucus, State House, 3rd Floor Conference Room
▪ (Upon adjournment of the House) Ethics Committee, Blatt Room 511
▪ (15 minutes after the House adjourns) Freshmen Caucus, Blatt Room 321