1. What makes you the most qualified person to hold this position?
I have served as Secretary of State since being elected in 2002. It has been a great honor to serve my state in this capacity for the last 12 years and I look forward to continuing my service.
2. What will be your top three priorities if you are elected?
I will continue to push for efficiency and transparency for all South Carolinians. I will continue to fight for us to be on the cutting edge of technology to serve businesses like our SCBOS system (SC Business One Stop). As the administrator of the South Carolina Solicitation of Charitable Funds Act, I will continue to fight to protect South Carolinians, who are among the most charitable Americans, so they know when they are giving graciously they are not being of unfairly taken advantage of.
3. What do you consider your most significant accomplishments in this office?
a. Increasing the numbers of operations that may be performed online through the Secretary of State’s website in addition to making it easier for you to see who is serving our state through Boards and Commissions, information that is now available online for the first time ever. This database is exceeding the state requirement by being updated daily, well above the state minimum requirement of twice per year.
b. Making our state a safer place to contribute to charities
c. Revising the standards required for a person to serve as a Notary Public and witness the signatures of South Carolinians on necessary documents.
4. Describe at least on significant political position you hold that would clash with your political base.
I don’t recall a political position that I have that would clash with the members of the Republican Party in South Carolina.
5. Have you ever been convicted of a crime, been disciplined by a professional licensing board or organization or had an ethics complaint filed against you?
6. Have you ever filed for bankruptcy or been delinquent on your federal, state or local taxes?
Are there any personal details about you that voters would be interested in knowing?
1. I am a life long South Carolinian who greatly appreciates all the opportunities this state has given me. In 1981 I first represented this state in the Shrine Bowl never dreaming that someday I would represent this state again as a statewide elected official. With teamwork, we will ensure this state continues to be business friendly, protect charitable donors, and prosper.