1) What makes you the most qualified person to hold this position? (Be specific.)
I have over 30 years of business experience in a variety of industries, negotiating multimillion dollar agreements, managing large teams and running complex projects. As the former Chief Procurement Officer for the American Red Cross I had the opportunity to work with the federal government in Washington and I recognize how broken the system and the process is in DC. I am experienced with getting large, complex projects completed on time and on budget. I am a real world problem solver who can bring my experience and skills to the Senate on behalf of South Carolina and America.
2. What will be your top three priorities if you are elected? (100 words for each issue)
3a. For non-incumbents: How would your approach to your job differ from the incumbent’s?
My opponent was appointed and does nothing that will upset his extreme right wing supporters. He’s not working to solve problems. South Carolina and America deserve better than that. As an Independent in the Senate, I will not caucus with either side, preserving my independence and my ability to negotiate with both sides of the aisle to find the best possible solutions for America and South Carolina. My election will deny a majority in the Senate to either side; I along with the other Independents can help move important legislation forward and make the “do-nothing” Congress actually start working again!
4. Describe at least one significant political position you hold that would clash with your political base.
As a centrist, I am fiscally conservative, pro-business and socially tolerant. I do not have a “political base” but being from the state of South Carolina, I am sure that some of my social positions will clash with some of our citizens. As a committed Christian I want to see every baby born, wanted and loved. We have far too many children abused and/or placed in foster care every year. However, as a woman, I believe that private decisions are between the woman, her partner and God. Government cannot legislate morality; it can only lead with integrity.
5. Have you ever been convicted of a crime, been disciplined by a professional licensing board or organization or had an ethics complaint filed against you? If so, please give the details.
6. Have you ever filed for bankruptcy or been delinquent on your federal, state or local taxes? If so, please give the details.
No. We did owe taxes one year and we worked with the IRS to pay that debt off over a period of several months. But we were never late.
7. Are there any personal details about you that voters would be interested in knowing?
I am a Daughter of the American Revolution. My ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War. My husband and eldest son served in the U.S. Air Force. My daughter served in the U.S. Army and my youngest son is a U.S. Marine. I will always support a strong military and our responsibility to our veterans. What has happened to our veterans is deplorable and what is happening to our active duty forces is shameful. I will do everything within my power as a Senator to ensure our troops readiness and that no veteran is without health, home or food.
Resume (from above)
A multi-faceted management professional with significant business experience providing proactive, decisive leadership in a number of fast paced industries including financial services, nonprofit, biomedical science, telecommunications, high tech and entertainment. An active and engaged management professional with a proven track record of producing significant results through a collaborative, team-based approach. Experience in Operations, Supply Chain, Real Estate, Sales, Marketing, Finance, HR, IT, Business Development and Mergers & Acquisitions.
|· Relationship Management· Strategic Planning||· P&L Management· Merger & Transition· Risk Management||· Project Management· Supplier Relations· Process Improvement|
Bringing a “for profit” business approach to America’s premier Humanitarian nonprofit in the newly created role of Chief Procurement Officer. Tasked with developing a strategic approach to supply chain and real estate management for the entire organization on a nationwide basis. Responsible for Supply Chain, Strategic Sourcing, Procurement, Warehousing, Inventory, Real Estate, Fleet and Travel enterprise. Developed policies, processes and procedures to develop a world class approach to real business challenges in the humanitarian supply chain. Leading a team of 55 professionals in supply chain, procurement, real estate and travel. Team is responsible for managing approximately $1.5 Billion in supply chain spend and a $1.4 Billion Real Estate portfolio to manage.
· Reorganized, re-energized and re-purposed the organization to meet the present & future challenges.
· Recognized with the ISM Award of Excellence for Organization & Structure in 2012.
· Key member of executive team, advising business segments in supply chain and real estate strategies.
· Led the team to deliver savings of over $156 million in first three years contributing to a balanced budget
· Created a hybrid organizational structure focused on client relationship and category management.
· Helped foster clear and relevant communications within and across key lines of business to ensure a positive relationship and broader understanding of the value proposition provided by a strategic approach.
· Re-engineered entire inventory and warehousing plan to streamline and facilitate more efficient and effective disaster support activities and ensure right stuff, right place at the right time.
· Drove enterprise to implement new models in fleet management, travel management and facilities management across the entire U.S. footprint.
Recruited by management to be key member of the senior leadership team to create the vision and craft the change for a new center led approach to strategic supply chain management at Bank of America. Developed policies, processes and procedures that met all legal and regulatory compliance requirements. Promoted to fill Sourcing Executive role, leading a team of 25 professionals globally to provide strategic supply management support for Commercial Banking, Investment Banking, Capital markets and Wealth &Investment management lines of business. Team responsible for managing $4 Billion in spend and supporting multiple key revenue related projects. Tapped as Transition Executive to lead integration of all supply chain activities during Merrill Lynch merger globally. Worked directly with the highest levels of senior leadership at Bank of America during the transition activities; handling highly sensitive projects critical to day one operations.
Vice President Strategic Sourcing & Supply
Education and Credentials
Institute of Supply Management – Women’s Executive Committee and Sustainability Committee and Sustainability & Social Responsibility Committee v Board Member National Minority Supplier Diversity Council v Member Board of Trustees CAPS Researchv Member ASU Value Chain Leadership
I also volunteer through my church for the Community Café, Meals on Wheels and support our local Food Bank. I have served in Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts as my children grew up. I have been a “band mom” and I have served and supported the Homeless and children’s issues in our area.