ELECTION 2014: S.C. Democrats give Gov. Nikki Haley a failing grade
12/16/2013 11:54 AM
12/16/2013 12:35 PM
The S.C. Democratic Party will release its "report card" of Republican Gov. Nikki Haley today -- and the grades are not good.
Democrats gave Haley mostly failing grades, even a few F- grades (not sure how you can do worse than fail, but the Democrats say Haley did.)
S.C. Democratic Party chairman Jaime Harrison is in the Upstate today to hold a news conference on the report card. The grades themselves are not news -- everyone knows Democrats are not fans of South Carolina's Republican governor. But heading into the 2014 election, it gives a glimpse of how Democrats plan to attack Haley.
Here is the report card:
Here are the footnotes:
- 1. http://www.stateintegrity.org/south_carolina
- 2. http://www.pewstates.org/uploadedFiles/PCS_Assets/2012/MobilityofStates_Data.pdf.pdf
- 3. http://www.money-rates.com/research-center/best-states-to-make-a-living/2013-complete-list.htm
- 4. http://www.thestate.com/2013/09/25/3001145/south-carolina-worst-in-country.html
- 5. http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/27/3062279/study-ranks-south-carolina-fifth.html
- 6. http://www.governing.com/gov-data/high-school-graduation-rates-by-state.html
- 7. http://www.thestate.com/2013/07/13/2860484/sc-colleges-lead-the-league-in.html
- 9. http://www.governing.com/gov-data/economy-finance/youth-employment-unemployment-rate-data-by-state.html
Haley's chief campaign boast will be her record on job creation. Since Haley took office, companies have announced 36,800 new jobs and $9.1 billion in capital investment, according to the S.C. Department of Commerce, a cabinet agency.
As recently as May, Democrats were criticizing Haley for having "one of the highest unemployment rates in the country." But since then, the state's unemployment rate has dropped to 7.5 percent, compared to the national average of 7.3 percent. S.C.'s unemployment rate was 10.8 percent when Haley took office.
South Carolina has the 17th highest unemployment rate in the country, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
UPDATE: Haley spokesman Rob Godfrey emails to say: "Democrats forgot some numbers - the more 40,000 jobs announced, the almost 3 full points South Carolina's unemployment rate has dropped under Governor Haley, our ranking as the fastest growing economy on the east coast and the more than 18,000 South Carolinians transitioned from welfare to work. Not surprisingly, they also forgot the tens of thousands of people who have lost insurance under the Obama-Sheheen healthcare disaster and the number of criminals Vince Sheheen fought to get off the hook in front of judges the senator himself appointed."
About this blog
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.