POLITICS: Obama declares disaster in SC, 21 counties get aid
03/12/2014 12:55 PM
03/12/2014 1:03 PM
President Barack Obama signed off on South Carolina major disaster declaration request Wednesday and ordered federal aid in 21 counties hit hardest by a winter storm last month.
The storm caused an estimated $435 million in damage -- $360 million to the timber industry, $55 million to government agencies and utilities and $20 million in insured losses.
Federal money now will be available to pay for emergency work and repairs from the Feb. 10-14 storm.
The federal government will pay 75 percent of bills. How the rest will be paid is undetermined, the S.C. Emergency Management Division said.
The counties receiving aid are: Aiken, Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Berkeley, Calhoun, Chesterfield, Clarendon, Colleton, Dillon, Dorchester, Edgefield, Florence, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry, Marion, Orangeburg, Saluda, Sumter and Williamsburg.
State agencies, local governments and some non-profits also could get federal money for work that reduces damage risks in future disasters, state emergency officials said.
Gov. Nikki Haley made the aid request after the second devastating winter storm to hit South Carolina in two week.
About this blog
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.