Former state representative and judge Tom Ervin, who is challenging Gov. Nikki Haley in the June GOP primary , will meet with reporters for the first time since announcing his run Saturday. Ervin, who will self-finance his run, will hold new conferences in Columbia and his hometown Greenville on Tuesday. He said he decided to run after hearing testimony before a Senate panel about alleged mismanagement at the S.C. Department of Social Services.
Richland County could end up with an all-new election board after Rep. James Smith determined Monday that the terms of the three remaining members had expired.
The Republican Governors Association and ally to Gov. Nikki Haley released another ad Monday attacking state Sen. Vincent Sheheen, her Democratic opponent, for his support for the Affordable Care Act.
The Columbian mammoth survived an ice age , but whether it can survive the South Carolina Senate as the state’s official fossil remains to be seen, The Greenville News reports.
A group of students who met for the first time Monday with the College of Charleston's new president, Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell, found him cordial, inquisitive and receptive, but that doesn't mean they're backing down from their opposition of the school's Board of Trustees and how it handled the search for a new president, or state legislators for exerting influence over the trustees, The (Charleston) Post and Courier reports.
Legislation that would create an entirely new police force to guard the Statehouse is now in the South Carolina Senate after clearing the House last week, the S.C. Radio Network reports.
Happening today: Gov. Nikki Haley is in the middle of a three-day economic-development trip to Canada . Former U.S. Ambassador to Canada David Wilkins is on the trip that takes a group from South Carolina to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.
S.C. State House today
Full body meets at noon• 10 a.m.: Medical Affairs Subcommittee on Reg. 4439, Reg. 4447, Reg. 4452 and Reg. 4444 and on S.919, S.1084, S.1137 and H.3968 (Gressette Room 207 / Agenda )
• 3 p.m.: Judiciary Committee (Gressette Room 308 / Agenda )
• 3 p.m.: Finance Committee (Gressette Room 105 / Agenda )
• Upon adjournment of the full Finance Committee: Finance Natural Resources and Economic Development Subcommittee Budget Hearing (Gressette Room 307 / Agenda )
Full body meets at noon• 8 a.m.: Teen Pact South Carolina (Rooms 108 and 110)
• 11 a.m.: Minority Caucus (Blatt Room 305)
• 11 a.m.: Majority Caucus (Blatt Room 112)
• Upon adjournment of the House: Minority Caucus: (Blatt Room 112)
• 1½ hours after the House adjourns: Education and Public Works Committee on R.4407, R.4419, R4422 and on H.3435, H.3905, H.3995, H.4383, H.4499, H.4650 and H.4900 (Blatt Room 433 / Agenda )
• 1½ hours after the House adjourns: Ways and Means Retirement Ad Hoc Study Committee (Blatt Room 521 / Agenda )
• 2:30 p.m.: 3-M Subcommittee I, Health and Environmental Affairs (Blatt Room 427 / Agenda )
• 2:30 p.m. or 1½ hours after the House adjourns: Judiciary Committee (Blatt Room 516 / Agenda )
• 2:30 p.m.: Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Regulations Subcommittee (Blatt Room 410 / Agenda )
• 2:30 p.m. or 1½ hours after the House adjourns: LCI Health Insurance Subcommittee on S.290, H.3779, H.4901, H.4911 and H.4916 (Blatt Room 403 / Agenda )
• 4:30 p.m.: SC Legislative Black Caucus (Blatt Room 112)
Get the newsletters : Sign up for the Morning Buzz and afternoon update
Got a tip? : Send us an email